Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Hidden Valley Ranch Deliciousness...Mock Mashed Potatoes

Providing my children with healthy food is very important to me. Vegetables play a big part in our menus. Typically a dinner at our house will include 3 vegetable items. Never does a meal have less than two veggies. One problem I run into, however, is vegetable boredom. It seems that I am fixing the same veggies in the same way all the time. Since I am always looking for new recipes to liven up our plates and surprise our taste buds a bit, I was excited to find the recipe for Mock Mashed Potatoes featuring Hidden Valley's light ranch dressing that was featured on Twitter Moms.

The very day I read the recipe I decided to make it part of our dinner menu. I used my laptop in the kitchen to follow along. You can find the recipe here.



One thing I really appreciated about the recipe is that it uses ingredients you probably keep in your house at any given time. No unusual items to buy that you will waste space in your fridge waiting for the next time you make the dish only to go bad before you get back to them.



* 1 head cauliflower, washed and broken into florets (about 4 cups florets)
* ⅓ cup Hidden Valley® The Original Ranch® Dressing Light
* 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
* 1 tablespoon light margarine (tub-style) or butter
* ¼ teaspoon salt



Another great thing about the recipe is simple so its a great time to get your little helpers involved! Cauliflower breaks apart easily with your hands and is a great job for Nolan, age 5.

Once you get your cauliflower into pieces, its time to steam it. It took about 25 minutes in our steamer to get nice and tender. You will notice I have 2 layers of cauliflower here. Its actually 2 heads. I made a first batch as per the recipe and then used the other cauliflower later.

Now its time for another little helper to get involved! Evan, age 2, can add the rest of the ingredients after I put the cauliflower in the food processor. I like to measure everything out ahead of time and put easy to spill measurements, like the Tablespoon of milk, into a larger measuring cup to make it easy for a child to dump it where it needs to be.








And then comes Evan's favorite part...pushing the button.



Allow the food processor to thoroughly puree your cauliflower. In the end it looks amazingly like...mashed potatoes!!



So how did this new recipe go over with my family? Take a look:






That's two thumbs up and two big happy smiles...a fantastic rating!

The challenge was sent out, via Twitter Moms, to revamp this recipe adding your own special touch. After some thought I came up with

Italian Creamed Cauliflower

* 1 head cauliflower, washed and broken into florets (about 4 cups florets)
* 1/4 cup Hidden Valley® The Original Ranch® Dressing Light
* 1/3 Cup Pizza sauce
* 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
* 1 Tablespoon finely chopped green pepper
* 1 Cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Steam cauliflower until tender. Put cauliflower and all other ingredients in food processor and process until smooth.

My children enjoyed this version even more than the original.

Disclosure

This post is part of a blogging contest from the TwitterMoms community. There is a chance this post could be selected to win a $25 AmEx Gift Card, so wish me luck! For more details, you can view the contest page here.

No comments: